Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wrapup - Over and Out

Final Thoughts
I learned a lot about myself and India on this 40 day trip.
Myself – I learned that my body has limits. Traveling for 40 days in a hot humid environment where one is participating in numerous daily activities is tiresome; especially for an older dude. I loved the trip but will have to make sure that I plan my future itineraries better so that I don’t suffer the fatigue that I experienced on this trip…..enough said! My fellow travelers were great company, made the trip more enjoyable and I learned how to speak Australian…….”oozee, mozzie, dunny, lollie, mate” and Austrian..”yah..yah” and of course Canadian..”Eh”…I love you all!!
India – I found India to be a fascinating country. I saw sites and met people that I had only read about or experienced on TV. I saw the Taj Mahal, traveled through cities that lay on the ancient “silk road”, visited Hindu temples..Buddhist Wats...Catholic churches…Islamic mosques and Jain temples, walked the walls of magnificent fortresses built by Islamic Mughals and Indian Rajahs, tasted food and drink not found in local Indian restaurants, saw a Bollywood movie, traveled by bicycle/auto rickshaws that scared me half-to-death and came to hate the constant honking of trucks/buses/taxis/auto-rickshaw horns. The Indian people are exceptionally friendly. No matter where I traveled, I was greeted with “Namaste”…where are you from?.....take a picture of me, my family…….sit-down and talk. Everyone is working, hustling, negotiating…wanting to sell you a scarf, carpet, shirts, shoes, belts….India Is Retail.  I always felt safe and never felt threatened or in danger.....except when driving in a bus, auto or tuk-tuk!
Traveling throughout India has led me to believe that two of the country's greatest strengths are:…. First, the “family” where, by cohabitation, supporting each other and working together, all family members are better off…….  Second, the underlying beliefs of Hinduism, India’s primary religion,  keep the country working together spiritually and emotionally towards achieving karma.
My Adventure – took me through all parts of the country from fertile southern India, famous for its spices and sandy beaches……to Punjab where I visited the Sikh’s sacred Golden Temple and saw the incredible Wagah India/Pakistan border ceremony……through Rajasthan whose history is the “silk road” and “Arian invaders” from the north who built fortifications that are engineering marvels ………..led me to the sacred Hindu city of Varanasi where I witnessed cremations and Aarti fire ceremonies and drank the best lassis at the Blue Lassi……to Aurangabad’s famous Caves of Ellora which are hand-carved Buddhist, Hindu and Jain temples that extend over a distance approaching two miles ….. finally to Mumbai, India’s financial capital,  whose largest outdoor laundry and food delivery dabbawalls are unique in the world. I thought that 40 days would be enough…but…but….maybe not!

To all of you that followed my travels....I hope that the BLOG has been enjoyable, informative and has given you the itch to travel to see a part of the world that you have dreamed about. Best wishes.....Tom

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
______________________
Intrepid Group Pictures
Crossing the Rubicon
South India Group's Final Dinner

Pip - "I'll buy this much"
Pretty Ladies

Catered Dinner by Kuldeep's Family
India's Famous Buyers
Kerala Backwater Canoe Ride
Gillian - I Can Eat the Whole Thing

Rooftop Libations - Mandawa
Cleaning Feet After Rat Temple Visit
Julie's Request
Austria's Ya-Ya Girls
Holi Celebrants - Mysore
Backs to the Taj Mahal
People of India

Reflection in Salt
Caretaker at Sri Meenakshi Temple

Guardians at Golden Temple

Ladies in Red - Bikaner



The Moustache Man - Jaisalmer


Sorting Ginger - Fort Colchin








Bathers at Sikh Golden Temple - Amritsar
Picking Tea - Near Ooty











Tea Party - Jaisalmer
Deaf Class - Asha ka Jharna School

Vegetarian Deligths - Fort Cochin
Street Vendor - Everywhere India


















Musician - Jaisalmer

Extra Passengers -Anywhere India














Unique India Attractions

Taj Mahal - Agra
Chinese Fishing Nets - Fort Cochin










Taj Mahal Hotel - Mumbai
Gateway to India - Mumbai










Caves of Ellora - Aurangabad
Buddhist Cave - Ellora



Hindu Temple- Ellora
Jain Temple - Ellora










Wagah Indian/Pakistan Flag Ceremony - Amritsar

Site of British Massacre - Amritsar
 
City Palace - Udaipur

 
Kerala's Backwater House Boat











Sikh's Golden Temple - Amritsar

Sri Meenakshi Temple - Mandurai















Rajasthan City Forts
Amber Fort Entrance - Agra
King's Hearing Room - Amber Fort

Deserted City of Fatehpur Sikri

Main Court Yard - Fatehpur Sikri








 
Imposing Amber Fort - Jaipur
Mirror Room - Amber Fort
 
Junagarh Fort - Bikaner
Throne Room - Junagarh Fort

Citadel of Jaisalmer
Imposing Home - Jaisalmer










Mehrangarh Fort - Jodhpur
Exquisite Room - Mehrangarh Fort

























Tom's Personal Best


New Found Friends - Amritsar

Admiring the Jaisalmer Citadel


Chandra - "I Won't Let Go!!"
Jodi - "Tom Needs Assistance"













 
Pip and Tom - Easy Riders

Desert Fox

I Captured the Fort

Father Figure

Pictures of Tom compliments of Pip Thornton...


The End

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you i really enjoyed your blog, i hope when i go i meet people like you

    ReplyDelete