Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17 - Exploring Amritsar


This is the 2nd day that I am on my own. I had a nice American breakfast consisting of fried eggs, toast, juice and marala chai...delicious....I love Indian food but curries and veggies for breakfast don't fulfill my taste-buds. I spent about 2 hours at the railway station attempting to confirm my sleeper reservation for Sunday night...I'm still wait-listed so I am unsure of my sleeper reservation status.

I hired a tuk-tuk for 3 hours to take me to some of the other Amritsar sites recommended by Lonely Planet. Pictures of the streets of Amritsar:

Street-Life



Watch Where You Walk!!












Grand Hotel from Bridge

Colorful Truck














First, I visited the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Panorama.......Maharaja Singh lived in the the 18th century and was considered one of the "Lions of Punjab". Quite interesting history on the struggles against northern invaders referred to in Indian history as the "arian invaders". The panorama had a diorama exhibit of numerous battles.


Exhibit Entrance

Maharaja on Horseback

Single-Handily Charging the Enemy

Capturing the Fort





















My 2nd stop was the Jallianwala Bagh Memorial. On April 19th, 1919, British soldiers, under the leadership of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer, slaughtered over 500 unarmed Indians of all genders and ages who were demonstrating against oppressive British laws...crawling in the street, public whippings and other demeaning laws. The memorial is a silent reminder of what happened. In the museum portion, there is displayed a document authored by Sir Winston Churchill condemning Dyer's actions and leadership.

Memorial Entrance

"X"Marks the Spot

Bullet Marks in Wall

Where Victims Attempted to Hide




















My 3rd stop was at the Sri Durgiana Temple. This 16th century Hindu Temple, surrounded by a water complex, is the Hindus answer to the Sikh's Golden Temple....there is no comparison, although the Hindu Temple is quite nice. There are fewer adornments and the size is significantly smaller. The ornaments are in silver; not gold.

Temple Entrance

Water-Walkway to Temple











Storing Gold Leaf

Goddess



















Finally, I conclude my sightseeing by having my tuk-tuk driver drop me at the Golden Temple. Sikhism is a mix of Hindu and Islam ---- the religion rejects the Hindu caste system and Islam's strict doctrinal laws. The Sikh religion is one of peace and inclusiveness. I spent about 10 minutes in the Temple information center talking to a Sikh while having a cup of chai....aaaaahhhh. Isn't the Temple a thing of beauty?

People Lined-Up to Visit

Entrance - I Entered the Temple

Bracketed by Minarets

As Sun is Setting



















The Temple complex supports a public kitchen that serves between 80,000 - 1000,000 meals a day, free of charge to anyone that comes to visit. All work, cooking, distributing plates/utensils, serving and clean-up, is done by volunteers.

Handing Out Plates, Cups, Utensils

People Waiting to Be Served

Washing Plates

Cleaning Scraps from Plates



















Other buildings in Golden Temple Complex:


Where Sikh's Holy Book Is Kept from 2200 -0400

Sikh Administrative Building












People that were visiting the Temple Complex and a family that I talked with.

Guard

Colorful Characters

Groups Talking

Praying











Two Smiling GrandPas

What a Grin


















Time to head back to the hotel from my Internet Cafe.  Tomorrow is Sunday...I must square away my train reservations. India plays Pakistan in cricket tomorrow so I might visit a "sports bar".



No comments:

Post a Comment